Felling Small Trees up to 380mm including Takedown of Hung-up Trees using Hand Tools is included in this course which is independently assessed by City & Guilds NPTC
- Correctly assess the situation prior to free felling a straight open grown tree up to a maximum of 380mm diameter, with the aid of wedges and/or a felling lever, and fell it in a chosen direction
- Remove limbs from felled trees and cross cut, handle and stack timber in a safe and efficient manner
- Identify types of timber, potential hazards and stresses, correctly assess if timber is in compression or tension, and select the appropriate technique to deal with the particular situation
- Take down hung up trees using hand tools
- Recognise situations where specialist help is required
NB: In undertaking the above objectives, the operator should wear the correct protective clothing, and be standing on firm ground. The chainsaw should never be operated above shoulder height.
Who is the course for?
This course is for novice operators with little or no experience of chainsaw felling, who are required to operate chainsaws for felling to guide bar length. The course is designed to prepare candidates for independent assessment for NPTC Licence to Practice Level 2 Qual 2004 (old Unit 31) or Lantra Awards Licence to practice.
City & Guilds NPTC Level 2 Award in Felling and Processing Trees up to 380mm Qual 2004
Four long days – when daylight permits – practical course. This is the minimum duration, and some trainees may need further consolidation. Tree felling activities should avoid disturbing wildlife in the nesting season and must comply with other felling requirements.
This course is independently assessed to either City & Guilds NPTC or Lantra Awards qualification standards and criteria.
- Felling demonstration
- Felling trees up to 380mm diameter
- De-limbing of felled trees
- Cross cutting trunks of felled trees
- Takedown of Hung-up trees
Chainsaw complying with pre-course handout
Operator’s maintenance kit and equipment
Safety equipment to include:
- Safety helmet incorporating ear defenders and eye protection
- ‘Non’ snag top
- Chainsaw mitts/gloves (back of left hand safety padded)
- Chainsaw trousers or leggings with safety padding
- Chainsaw boots (see pre-course handout)
NB: Instructors have been instructed not to undertake training where trainees do not have the appropriate protective equipment and appropriate saw.
4 days training and independent assessment – £625+VAT
Hire of chainsaw, protective clothing, and fuel £65+VAT per week
Newlands Training Ltd have the following cancellation policy:
- 7 working days notice, full fee refund, less administration charge of £25.00
- 3-7 working days notice, 50% fee refund
- 1-3 working days notice, 25% fee refund
- Less than 1 days notice, no refund