Operate a Chainsaw from Rope & Harness once you have your Climbing Certificate
- Understand legislation and safety guidelines pertaining to the use of a chainsaw from a rope and harness
- Understand the safety considerations to be observed in organising the work site
- Carry out pre-start checks to the chainsaw, cold and hot starting techniques
- Demonstrate techniques for hauling chainsaws into the tree and attaching them appropriately to the harness
- Use appropriate techniques for establishing secure and comfortable work positions
- Demonstrate the appropriate use of various step and sink cuts and correct final pruning cuts
- Use top-handled and lightweight rear-handled chainsaws in a safe and efficient manner, to remove light and medium weight branches
- Understand and fulfil the duties and responsibilities of a competent ground person
Who is the course for?
Tree surgeons and arborists. The course is designed to prepare candidates for independent assessment for City & Guilds NPTC Licence to Practice Qual 2108 (old Unit 39) or Lantra Awards Licence to practice.
To achieve this qualification the candidate must hold a Tree Climbing & Aerial Rescue Certificate with City & Guilds NPTC Licence to Practice. Qual 2013 or Lantra equivalent.
In addition the candidate must also hold Chainsaw Maintenance & Cross Cutting City & Guilds NPTC Level 2 Qual 2003 old (Unit 30) AND Felling Trees up to 380mm diameter City & Guilds NPTC Level 2 Qual 2004 (old Unit 31) or Lantra equivalent.
Novice operator: 4 days
Experienced operator: 3 days
This course is independently assessed to either City & Guilds NPTC or Lantra Awards qualification standards and criteria.
- Prepare chainsaw for use
- Cold / hot starting techniques
- Sending saw aloft
- General saw handling
- Use of chainsaw from rope and harness to remove medium sized lateral branches
- Use of slings
- How to free a trapped saw
- Target pruning
Equipment can be hired from us or bring your own if preferred.
- Climbing Ropes and Harness and Hooks etc
- Hand saw for working in tree
- First aid kit
- Personal protective equipment
- Lightweight Top Handled Chainsaw,
- Tools, fuel and oil
- Chainsaw PPE
4 days including independent assessment £525 +VAT
3 days including independent assessment £400 +VAT
Newlands Training Ltd have the following cancellation policy:
7 working days notice, full fee refund, less administration charge of £25.00
3-7 working days notice, 50% fee refund
1-3 working days notice, 25% fee refund
Less than 1 days notice, no refund