If you need to drive off-road, this course will teach you to tackle the toughest terrain and challenges that the British weather can throw at you. An ideal course for updating your knowledge of the latest health and safety regulations.
- Comply with legal requirements and safe practice
- Identify risks associated with off road vehicle use
- Select and use appropriate personal protective equipment (PPE)
- Understand the main causes of accidents
- Identify the controls, systems and components of your vehicle
- Perform pre-start checks
- Identify and report faults
- Prepare your vehicle for use off-road
- Assess the suitability of both ground and route
- Make structured decisions about if, and how, to tackle obstacles
- Perform a failed hill climb
- Drive over a variety of terrain
- Perform an on-site risk assessment
- Identify loading and towing capacities
- Understand legal and practical requirements for travelling on a public road
- Identify the dangers of vehicle recovery/self-recovery
- Demonstrate expert decision-making about obstacles, your vehicle’s capabilities, and your own driving skills.
Who is the course for?
Any person who is/will be required to operate a 4×4 vehicle in an off-road environment. All trainees must be able to demonstrate that they are competent in driving normal vehicles in a road situation and hold a current driving licence. An individual assessment will be carried out and those reaching the required standard will receive the nationally recognised certificate.
LANTRA Awards Training (with Assessment) Competence with Modules certificate
You will need to have basic driving skills and hold a current driving licence. Although driving will be off-road, you will need to wear suitable clothing and shoes (see Equipment Required).
1 day – a mix of key theory and practical sessions.
The course will include:
- Health and safety
- Attributes of vehicles and systems
- Attributes of obstacles
- Attributes of operators
- Vehicle checks and preparation
- Basic operating techniques
- Vehicle recovery, safety briefing
- Off-road to on-road checks
- 4×4 vehicle complying with safety regulations and in a well maintained state
- Notebook and pencil
- Wellington boots
- Wet weather clothing
- Tyre pressure gauge
- Operators instruction books for own machinery
- Camera (optional)
1 day course – £295 + VAT
Newlands Training Ltd have the following cancellation policy:
- 7 working days notice, full fee refund, less administration charge of £25.00
- 3-7 working days notice, 50% fee refund
- 1-3 working days notice, 25% fee refund
- Less than 1 days notice, no refund